Friday, August 25, 2017

Confession Number 1

So, I have a huge confession.  I, April, am a hoarder!  Hahaha, for those that have ever taken one step into my house, you know that right away!  My poor, wonderful husband puts up with it.  I get it honestly, as both of my parents are also hoarders.  Sorry mom and dad for outing you, but I had to blame someone, (insert cute winking emoji here).  

This coming Christmas, my husband will be thanking his lucky stars that he married a hoarder.  Why you may ask???  Well, Maddie, has told me what she wants from Santa.  (Side bar conversation...yes, my kids still believe in Santa.  Yes, I know it is only August.). Mike and I believe that this is probably the last year these two will be believing in the old man in the red suit, so we try to let them have one big gift from the big guy and the other items on their wish list goes to us and the rest of the family.  So just what is Maddie's request this year???  It is an American Girl Doll house.  Now let me just tell you for those not in the know.  American Girl (AG) dolls are very expensive.  Target has their own version which is My Generation (which we love) and even Walmart has their own with My Life dolls and accessories.  This doll house that she wants is NOT small, not by a LONG shot!!  No, no, no.  She wants one with 6 rooms AND a terrace.  Each of these rooms are 2' (yes that is a foot symbol not inches) deep and at least 2' high.  We are looking at a house that will be 6' wide and 6' tall and 2' deep.  MASSIVE!!  Not only does my precious girl want the house, she wants it already decorated.  I started looking at the cost...the smaller ones (not 3 stories tall) are over $300.  That is just for a plane white 4 box house.  Not including the cute and very expensive furniture, and I'm not even looking at the AG namebrand.  The laundry set from Target is $50 and the Kitchen set is $50-80 (not including table and chairs).  So I said to myself, "self, we need to come up with a cheaper solution, but one that Maddie will be ok with."  So I do what I always do when in crisis, I turned to Pinterest!!!  And, thank the Pinterest Crafty gods that there are SEVERAL posts about how to make, decorate and craft AG houses.  Yay!!  So over the next four months I will be sharing a lot of my solutions and my spins on creating AG stuff.  So why is it a good thing I'm a hoarder?  Well, for just one of soon to be many examples, I have lots, I mean LOADS of fabric from projects over the years!!  I have already made bedding for 2 bedrooms from scrap materials I have on hand.  I also plan on making couches and other furniture from all the cardboard and foam boards I save.  So hubby, I'm already saving us  hundreds of $$$!!  Isn't the bedding cute?  One is for a single and the other is for bunk beds.  Lots to come, stay tuned!

No comments: