Friday, July 29, 2011

Holding Our Breath

The last two weeks we have had a few play dates and several MOPS meetings (which means nursery). Before our meeting Wednesday I got a message telling me that one of the little boys in the group had come down with hand, foot & mouth disease. I really didn't think anything of it. A few weeks before another little boy had it too. Then last night I heard that another kid in the group had it. Then two more today. So I'm now inspecting the kids CONSTANTLY! I had never even heard of this disease/virus until the first kid had it. I also got a call from Stacy today and she gave me Aaden's symptoms and I immediately knew he had the mess too. So she took him to the doctor today and sure enough he does. I am so scared that Maddie & Zack are going to get it. Apparently it is going around like a wild fire. There are outbreaks everywhere (according to Aaden's doc). It is very contagious. There usually is a rash that looks like pimples on the hands, feet, and/or mouth. It can get in the mouth (which is painful for the child and they have a hard time eating/drinking). It also can come with a fever. It lasts 3-10 days.

Today Zack woke up with a runny nose and I'm on full alert! I have been giving him breathing treatments every 4 hours. I'm hoping I can ward off an attack. I don't think he is coming down with HFM, I think he has caught my cold. So keep us in your thoughts. I'm hoping we will not have sicklings on their birthday party day and we have to skip the party.

No comments: