Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Maddie's Coronet

 I have decided to post my projects that I have been working on for "Operation Separation".  My first project is Maddie's Coronet (a coronet or corona is a "crown" that goes above a bed that has drapes or curtain).



 I first cut out a 2 1/2 foot half circle from my 4 ply 4 x 8 piece of plywood.


my 1/2 Circle
  
The next step you could skip.  I went and purchased fabric to sew my curtains.  I wanted specific colors and I wasn't willing to pay $90 for curtains, so I went to the fabric store and bought fabric for half the amount and sewed two panels.  I also lined them, because my fabric was a little translucent.  My curtains are about 86" long.  

When the panels are ready just staple them to the circle (the round part).  Make sure that the the panels meet in the middle.  See the picture below.

Here is what the curtains look like stapled to the plywood
 The next step is to make or purchase a valance.  I made this too, again I wanted specific colors.  Then staple the valance over the existing panels.

 Voila!  You have a hand made Coronet.  I do need to run back to the fabric store and purchase a little bit more finishing ribbon (the part with the balls) to hide my staples.  This is what it looks like at the edge of my table.  I need to go buy some L Brackets to hang it in Maddie's room.  I can't wait to show you when it is hanging up! 

No comments: