Thursday, March 22, 2012

Scoreboard Challenge

Another day another project.  This took me a while.  I was actually working on this project first.  I just had to wait a LOT for paint to dry so I was able to do other projects in between.  So...my latest project for Operation Separation was to build Zack a scoreboard for his room.  I saw this picture in Pottery Barn Kids and fell in LOVE!!  I wanted it BAD!

So when I saw on pinterest that there was another lady that made one I jumped at making one too!  I pretty much followed her instructions except the color (which I wanted lighter) and then her stencils.  She used a silhouette machine, but I didn't have one so I used my cricut.  I'm happy to say that I have been doing all of these projects by my lonesome!  So here is what mine looked like:

First I took a piece of  plywood.  Sorry I don't remember the thickness.  I got the cheapest so it wasn't very thick (I wanted it to be light since it was going on the wall.) The piece was originally 4 x 8.  I cut it down to 4 x 3 and then painted it (using Grassy Green from Lowes).


After the green was dry I then taped where I needed to paint my lines for my home and visitor boxes and painted them white.


 What took the longest was this next part.  Trying to figure out sizes for my letters and numbers.  Once I finally found the right "stencils" I then taped and painted these too.

  
I then cut out scorecards and painted them green.  I made 8 but only ended up hanging 7.  I thought it was cute to make it look like home (aka Zack) was up to bat.  After painting these I then made more stencils to paint numbers on each scorecard.  


 I didn't want to go out and buy more material so I found some rope that was in garage.  I put 7 nails in the board and strung up each scorecard.  And here is the end result!  What do you think?  I might go back in and paint a baseball to go in between Zachary and Field, but haven't decided.  This is going to be hanging above his dresser in his new "big boy" room.  By the way this project only cost me $20.  ($ 10 for plywood and $10 for paint, everything else was around the house.)

2 comments:

Maddycakes Muse said...

LOVE IT!!!! I have been working on Operation Separation for 2 years now!! I told Madison at 5...she HAS to sleep in her own room because no Kindergarten kids sleeps with their mommies! LOL

4fishing said...

great job- grampy