Thursday, March 29, 2012

The Stage is Set

I have FINALLY completed a HUGE project.  It has taken me almost two weeks, but I have done it all by myself (with the exception of asking the hubby to find a truck to bring the plywood home in a truck).  When I thought about big boy and big girl rooms I thought about each personality and what each kid loves to do.  When I think of Maddie I immediately think of "big ham".  She LOVES to perform.  Maybe a future singer or actress on our hands.  When we skype with the grandparents, she now loves to perform for them.  She likes to dance and sing!  So....I decided to put a little stage in her room.  I didn't want it to take up too much room.  I found on HGTV a very cute child's room that had a stage as well, click HERE for the link.  I first took a piece of 4 ply 8 x 4 plywood and cut two 2 1/2 foot quarter circles using my jigsaw.

I then took a couple of 2 x 6's and cut them down to make a "floor joist" pattern.  The picture below I didn't have them quite finished, but you get the idea.

After I screwed everything together this is what it looked like.
I decided to leave the front open for a couple of reasons 1) I am a beginner and I do not know how to bend wood.  I know it is possible, but I do not know how.  And #2) I also liked the idea of using cubby holes to store "stage props".

So after I got everything together I put a coat of stain on the stage.

What took the longest was the next step.  Applying polyurethane took me five days.  I ended up putting five coats on top (I do NOT want the kids to get splinters) and 3-4 everywhere else.  This takes 3 days to cure, so this was not a quick process.  After it finally dried I then attached 5 legs so the stage would not set on the carpet.  (sorry forgot to take a picture) I then pushed it up the stairs myself.  This thing is SUPER heavy!!  Here it is before I put up a curtain.  (Yes the kids loved it and did not want to get off.)
I then took a piece of leftover fabric from the coronet and attached it to make a little curtain to hide the cubbies.

The top curtain is a curved shower curtain with a regular curtain.  I will eventually put up tiebacks and some stage lighting, but for now here it is.







2 comments:

Amanda and Michael said...

A-MA-ZING!! You are so talented and Zack and Maddie are so lucky to have such a cool mom who makes them such cool rooms!

Maddycakes Muse said...

I am seriously impressed that you built this yourself!!! You are giving me some motivation to tackle some bigger DIY projects!