Thursday, April 14, 2011

Maddie's Dr. Appointments

Maddie's appointment with the Endocrinologist went well! The endocrinologist thinks that Maddie has Benign Transient Hyperphosphatasemia. This just means that she has high phosphatase levels, but should go down on their own within a few months. She took some blood to make sure her she doesn't have vitamin D deficiency. She thinks that Maddie is small because it is just in her genes and is just petite and wasn't concerned. She thinks Maddie has plenty of muscle and is extremely active (as Maddie showed her during the appointment). The blood work should come back in about a week and we will know for sure.

During the appointment I had a time with both of them. They wanted to run around and get up and down from chairs that were in the room. When it came time to do the physical I put Zack in the double stroller and immediately he started screaming bloody murder. I have never seen/heard Zack scream this badly. A nurse came in and offered to take Zack out of the room and play with him while she checked Maddie out. 5 minutes later I could still hear Zack screaming down the hall. It was quite embarrassing.

After this appointment we went back into the waiting room to eat lunch and wait for the appointment with the nutritionist. There is a funny/disgusting story that I will share at the end of the blog so those with weak stomachs don't have to read it. The nutritionist went over what we feed Maddie and we decided to change a few things around as far as when they drink their milks. We also are to cut out all juice and only give them water, milk, or pediasure. Actually she gave me prescription for a type of pediasure that has even more calories. I was told that Maddie should have 950 calories a day to gain weight and catch up to where she should be based on her height.

Now on to the story about what happened during our wait. I had packed a lunch because I knew it was going to be a long day at the doctor's office. The office was located at the Children's hospital so their waiting room was designed for kids. I sat them at a little kids table in front of the TV which was playing Disney Jr. (Mickey Mouse at the time). For lunch I had packed grilled cheese sandwiches, apple slices, orange slices, and carrots. I was enjoying spending time with the kids. Since all the doctors break for lunch their was no one in the waiting room except us three. I was watching the tv with the kids and I looked up and I noticed Zack trying to stuff almost the entire apple in his mouth, when of course he got choked and started throwing up. I had to pick him up and my thought was "oh no, I'm going to have to clean this up...Oh no!" So I immediately decided to try and get Zack to throw up in our cooler. This was a site...me holding Zack upside down and him vomiting into my cooler. Luckily he didn't get the mess anywhere except the cooler which had my lunch still in it. (I told you it was disgusting.) As soon as he was done he looked at me and asked for what else?!? More apple. I think this is now one of the top three disgusting moments of my motherhood. It comes in right after #2) poop up the nose and #1) disgusting story of all time...letting Maddie nap in just a diaper fiasco.

1 comment:

Amy and Michael said...

Not gross - Gross would have been if you still went in and ate your lunch after that.