Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Service

Imagine being 11 years old and already a mother to a one year old.  Crazy right?!?  Today we had a guest speaker from Dress a Girl.  Something about this ministry just spoke to me.  What is Dress a Girl?  It is a Christian based ministry that takes pillow cases and makes dresses for girls all over the world that can't afford to own a piece of clothing.  One of the places in particular that she (the guest speaker, Lisa) was passionate about was Haiti.  In Haiti there are hundreds of girls that are constantly being raped because they don't have any clothes on, literally walking around naked because they own NOTHING.  A pillowcase dress (up to $3, cheap as $0.25) could help solve that problem.  Since I have made quite a few pillowcase dresses and know how simple it could be to make one, again this ministry just spoke to me.

In a few days I will be turning the big 3-0.  For the past month I have been looking for something to get involved in.  I just want to leave my mark on the world somehow, even if it is small, I want to do something.  I'm not certain how involved I want to get involved with something.  I'm just looking for a way to make a difference.  My original plan was to do 30 days of Random Acts of Kindness.  Unfortunately I haven't been consistent in doing them every day.  And while I feel that some of the kindnesses have felt great, I just feel like I could do more.  I'm not sure exactly what I want to do with this, but I really LOVED every bit of this.  The ministry is 100% toward going to clothing girls around the world.  All the "workers" are volunteers that make dresses.  They send dresses with missionaries that were planning on going to places already (so no shipping costs).  For more info here is their website: http://www.dressagirlaroundtheworld.com/.  Some of my thoughts were to make 30 dresses myself to donate; ask family & friends or even church to donate pillowcases; or volunteer to do something.  There is also another ministry associated with Dress A Girl that is wonderful too that I also could get involved in.  I have decided to pray about this the next day and decide what to do.  I will keep everyone updated.  For those that are still reading this please say a little prayer for me too!  Thanks!!

No comments: